CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, August 4, 2007

Broken Bridges! it aint just the title of a movie now.

So on to tragedy 2 a bridge collapse in Minneapolis this week killing so far 5 people. aparently some construction was being done on or near the bridge but so far it looks to have just failed and so far there is no reason as to why.

Well of course this has set of some kinda public outcry that I wish I could see for ending world hunger or curing cancer, people bitching about bridges, how their designed, built, inspected, and repaired.  all of sudden we have some kind of pandemic of every bridge in America is unsafe or so it seems.  Reports have been coming down that 70000 bridges are rated as ,and get this new buzz word,  "Structurally Deficient"  I love it now people are on the rally as if to say "FINALLY I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS DAY TO COME" and are quick to judge as if they could see the future. Already some have come out blameing the federal goverment for being lacks on inspection. To this I say bullshit you dont know what your talking about, and back to the blame game. Cause someone dies well its gotta be someones fault doesn't it and for it to be the goverment fault all the bridges have to be unsafe don't they. (by the way I can't believe I just stuck up for the government)  Now back to the new buzz word structurally deficient.  Hmmm Deficient not "Unsound" all it means is that it needed some repairs, not that it was about to collapse.  and by the way the bridge had for almost seven years been sound as far inspections say. 

Now I know for the people of Minneapolis this is a tough time and especilly the familes of the dead. but come on this is turning into a witch hunt. the truth is everyday we step outside the house or not we are putting ourselve in danger.  Think how long do you wait to fix the brakes on your car, when they start squeaking or when they start grinding. im pretty sure alot of us wait for the later.  How about that leaky faucet , or faulty switch in your house it could cause a flood or a electric fire but you dont see people shutting down their homes and running to the store to fix them. mainly people deal with it till it becomes a big problem. so why are we so surprised about this and that if to say if something was being overlooked. and lets be real, no one thought the bridge was unsafe or they wouldnt have let people drive on it.

Now imagine this lets say, engineers shut down all 70000 bridges in America that need work and lets see how long that lasts. not very long I bet.  Now maybe we do need a bit of reform in the business of insepction and maybe a few bridges need to be torn down but come on lets not act like were all driving on roads of death here.  Truth be told the biggest danger on the road is us. over 40,000 of us will lose are lives in car accidents in America alone. I think thats where we need the reform, in the way we drive not what we drive on, cause I bet you never thought about what you were driving on till now. so why the big deal you tell me.


PS sorry that the last two blog have been about tragedies I don't like to write about the dead but if something stinks I just feel like I gotta say something, I just dont wanna come off like a Ambulance Chaser just waiting for a accident to come along so I can blog.
Peace to you and yours,
Mike

0 comments: